Saturday, July 20, 2013

The Cooper Sprint Triathlon!

If you don't want to read, you can watch!


Cooper Sprint Triathlon from Madelyn on Vimeo.


Let's time travel. Not too far, but back to last night.

Whitney came over from Ft. Worth and we got to go pick up our race packets for the Cooper Sprint Triathlon! It's on the beautiful ranch with some gorgeous facilities. We picked up our packets and looked around. They have a rock wall and the pool can be seen from the lobby through a wall that is one entire window! We checked out the transition area, found our spots then went and picked up my bike from the bike shop.

Then Jared and Mason got to the house and we all went out to eat at BJ's. We had a blast just talking and hanging out! We then went home after dinner and got everything ready for the race!

Whitney and I woke up at 5 this morning and had a little something to eat before we hit up the local Starbucks! We then made the trip over to Cooper, found our parking spot and rolled our bikes to the transition area!

Couldn't get into the place without getting body marked. I feel like I will never get the permanent marker off my skin. But we just made our way around the area, getting things set up, going to the bathroom, getting our timing chips and stretching! We then made our way to the pool where the pre-race meeting was. There were tons of people! Once we all finally got in a "line" (more like a mob) to start, the race began!

It took a good while to make it to the pool. Enough time where Jared and Mason found us and we got to talk to them pre-race. But then we made it to the front of the line and in we went!

I was surprised at how fast I was going compared to others once I got in the pool. It was a bit chaotic but I navigated ok, even if slow people were trying to pass even slower people. Then I transitioned pretty well and headed out on the bike! I got comfortable with the bike and the road and went to click into a higher gear, and it was the highest my bike goes! Yay for mountain bikes in a triathlon. But I made do with what I had and just enjoyed the morning. It was really nice. I was passing people on hills, which made me smile, and had minimal problems just biking along. It was a little disheartening having all the road bikes pass me. If I do a triathlon again, I'll need to invest in a road bike for sure!

But then came the run. It was awesome because Jared was at every transition point and was able to cheer me on. He even ran with me down a sidewalk as I started the run portion and it made me smile so much! It was weird on the run at first because 1) my shoes had gotten soaked from my shorts and 2) I was so used to how fast I was going on my bike, I seemed to be jogging really slow! But I settled into a pace, ran through the beautiful park they have on campus and as I turned the corner for the halfway point, there was my personal cheering crowd! All three of them since Whitney had just finished! That gave me the juice to make the last 1.5 miles and Whitney ran with me the last few hundred yards! I love that girl!

All in all, Whitney got second in her age group!!! I got 12th! Reppin' the Aggies!

I really enjoyed doing this race. The run is really what I have felt weakest in when it comes to the choice between swimming, biking and running. Running is what I've been working on, so I felt pretty strong overall! I learned that I enjoy racing, and given the right equipment in the future (when the budget frees up) I will be able to actually be competitive in this race. That makes me pretty excited!

To Whitney, you have been such an inspiration to me and thank you so much for doing this event with me! You bring such a joy to life and I am so blessed to be your friend!


Mason, Whitney, Me and Jared

My results!

Whitney's results!

No comments:

Post a Comment