Thursday, September 24, 2015

Follow up...PTSD and Essential Oils


A little while ago I shared how I have been dealing with my PTSD and how I've grown through struggling with it. What I would like to share is how I have found a great way to help manage those days where it seems super overwhelming. 

In case you didn't get to read the blog where I talked about what struggles I have due to PTSD, here's a recap:

1) I deal with depression.
2) I have nightmares at night more often than I'd like. 
3) A recent development, I have panic attacks occasionally. 

Combine all these together and it makes some days seem insurmountable and demotivates me from getting off the couch in front of Dr. Who on Netflix. Thankfully, I have the mental strength to not stay there but...as promised!...I have found something that really helps me deal with these issues. It's essential oils!

Now, when I say that, most people switch off because they think I'm just trying to advertise and build a buisness. Well, the small little lawyer in me (albeit, she's very, very small) wants you to know I don't share this just to advertise essential oils. Yes, I am a rep and very happy about it. But I'm already building a small business with my husband (LoveLifeDesignCo on Etsy...go check it out!) and I don't need to start another one right now. But I'm sharing this because it really has worked for me. Since I got a ton of response from the last post on PTSD, I really wanted to share a solution that I feel could help a ton of people. 

I'm also not advocating essential oils as cures or substitutes for counselors or doctors.  

Now that we got motives and legal-eze out of the way...essential oils have really helped me and here's what works...

Valor II: This is my #1 go to oil when dealing with PTSD. I put it on my wrists and on the back of my neck and the smell alone helps me start feeling normal again. It's a great blend of several things including Idaho Blue Spruce, Ylang Ylang, Frankensence and German Chamomile. When I diffuse it at night with Cedarwood and Lavender it helps me fall asleep faster and more often than not, I don't have nightmares. On weeks where I'm having consecutive bad nights of sleep, I put it on the bottom of my feet and it does helps me sleep really well.

Cedarwood: Many times I sit in bed struggling to fall asleep. Diffusing this helps me fall asleep and sleep without nightmares. 

Lavender: We joke at our house that this is a cure all oil, but diffusing this or applying it topically helps me calm down when I get tense or fearful. It's much cheaper than Valor so I use it on days where I'm not full blown crazy. 😉

Orange and Frankensense: I love to diffuse a couple drops each of these oils when I'm working during the day. It helps me feel happy and excited about work and I find when I'm already diffusing this, it helps stave off any negative emotions or tension and then I don't have to go to any of the other oils. Days where I don't have to deal with PTSD are the best!

So, like I mentioned, I am a rep and if you wanted a blend like Valor II you would have to buy it through a rep. But for the rest of them, you can find essential oils at your local health store. They aren't as pure so they aren't as strong and you have to use more to get the same effect. So make sure you do your cost analysis there. 

I hope this helps many of you who are dealing with PTSD. On top of everything else in life it's a huge burden to deal with on some days. I hope you can find some relief in oils like I have!

No comments:

Post a Comment