Thursday, October 29, 2015

Oils for Running



I recently posted on my social media that I had a very involved recovery to do list after my 14 mile run which included some essential oils. I got a couple of questions asking what I used and what to use for recovery in running. So I thought I would share in more detail!

My first thing to go when running long distances is my immune system. It tanks after long runs and it's when I'm most vulnerable to get sick. I have been boosting my immune system after long runs by putting a drop or two of the Citrus Fresh blend in my water and so far, so good!

The other thing that I have been dealing with is the humidity...which causes chafing! Besides my copious amounts of body glide that I use, I get really bad chafing under my arms. I've also been getting blisters from my shoes that I just had to retire. Best thing for both of these? Lavender and Tea Tree! Both of these oils have anti septic and an anti-inflammatory properties as well as helps the skin heal faster. I apply them twice daily until my skin has healed. Between chafing and blisters, I heal way faster than without them! Which means next run, I'm not wincing in pain.

My favorite, PanAway! It's a blend that helps with pain. It works a little like aspirin in helping reduce pain and it also works as an anti-inflammatory. Like Lavender and Tea Tree, it promotes healing so that your injury gets better faster. This is perfect for my leg muscles after a long run. I am not nearly as sore after each run like I was last time I trained for a marathon.

Last but not least, I've been dealing with an ankle issue. I won't call it an injury yet, because I can still run on it. But I have had to cut back my mileage a bit. I'm getting tendonitis on the inside of my right ankle. As much as I'm rolling out my muscles after runs, I'm just super tight and it's causing a stress point on this part of my ankle. I'm using a blend of Valor II and RC in conjunction with PanAway in order to help heal it. RC has Marjoram, Lavender and Peppermint which all help with the healing. Valor helps with the pain along with PanAway. After two weeks of putting a few drops on my tendon  twice a day, I was able to do a 12 mile run without any real significant pain the following day. I'm a believer!

So if you are a runner or any other athlete, I hope some of these uses can help you! Happy running!


No comments:

Post a Comment