Monday, May 9, 2016

Home Makeover: Egli Edition - The Garden!

Jared and I have talked about redoing our garden for a long time now. We finally made it happen on Monday!

The first thing we had to do was change out our sprinkler heads. The old ones wouldn't have cleared the new bed. Plus, these are directional so we won't be watering the fence any more!



Next we built the planter box. Jared made it out of cedar and it smelled incredible! 


Then we dug our trench for the underground hose that would lead from the house to the planter box. We are putting in a subterranean soaker hose to the garden so that even if we are out of town, the plants will still get watered. Once the trench was built, we put the box in place on top of some landscaping netting to keep any future weeds out!


Once that was done we filled in our trench and added dirt! We found a local place that had massive piles of dirt you can buy in bulk instead of the 1 cubic foot bags at Lowes. We got half and half for filler and organic garden dirt for the top. I had some sweet peppers going already along with some jalapeƱos, green bell peppers, strawberries and three kinds of tomatoes. Then, my blueberry came back after dying last year! So I was super excited to put it back in the garden, this time with some more shade. 


One of the most frustrating things last year was that I got one tomato and a bird took a big chunk out of it. So this year, we are adding a cage around the garden to protect it from birds and any other animals that might want to help themselves.

Test fitting the cage


All done!

I'm super excited about my garden and can't wait to see what it can produce this year! I'm getting more and more knowledge about how to grow things and I want it to pay off so bad! I guess we will have to wait a few more months to know!



No comments:

Post a Comment