Saturday, October 27, 2012

Monster Mash!

So today was the day we have been training for! We woke up this morning at 5:45 am and drove down to the Sam Houston Race Track for our 5K today.

It was cold for the first time since summer and the wind was howling. We were so cold! Thankfully they had us wait inside where we got to look at all the funny costumes. Personally, I think ours were the best since we went dressed up as Aggies (I know I'm biased). We got a lot of whoops and well wishes. Especially when people learned that we actually WENT to the school. That's right everyone. We didn't just go to Walmart...

The race itself was actually very difficult for me. Yes, I have been training and I got my 5K time down to 34 minutes (with no walking!) during my training. But today was hard. I have been sick all week. Not only was it cold, but the first mile and a half was all on the horse race track! That means sand! Then around mile 1.3 my asthma started kicking up. Something that hasn't happened in months. So to say I'm proud of my time is a big deal. I overcame running at a different time of day, on sand, in the cold and on one lung haha. Maybe I should actually train in the conditions I'm going to be racing in for the future. :) I know we weren't trying to be competitive, but looking at my results makes me competitive. So I'm a little disappointed I didn't finish in the first half of the group and I'm a little disappointed I couldn't run the entire way. But I had fun and we had a gorgeous sunrise! I'm gonna do many more 5K's and this is just something to try to beat next time!

Here are some pictures!

 Here are my results! I don't know why they put me in that age category...

 In all maroon!

 My running project is complete!

 Still running across America. Getting close to that 100 mile mark!


 We had so much fun!

They even tweet your results for you! Fancy!

I'm already looking for the next races. :) I'm hooked! We will probably take a week or two break to let our muscles recover from our training schedule (and celebrate Jared's birthday!) but then we will start on the 10K! I really want to run the Houston Turkey Trot on Thanksgiving and I even found a relay that celebrates Texas independence in March. It goes just over 200 miles from Bastrop to Houston! Anyone want to be on a team with me? :D

I am so thankful for a few things:
1. For God giving me the legs and the body to go running. I know health and limbs are not something to take for granted.
2. For my family supporting me in my journey of running.
3. For my husband. He could have easily gone ahead of me and run faster and stronger but he stayed behind with me. He said that he could go for the competitiveness but that would defeat the purpose of running together. I scored big when I married him!

Talk you you soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment