Wednesday, March 4, 2015

Running Your Mind While Your Body Is Running


When I was training for my marathon, I learned very quickly that this meant LONG hours out on the trails and roads. For me, I love music. It makes my heart jump for joy with the right song and chills me out when I start getting stressed. But any playlist, when it goes for hours on end, can get a bit monotonous. When I couldn't find enough songs that made the long hours of running bearable, that's when I found podcasts!

What made me fall in love with podcasts is the part of my personality that constantly loves to learn. Thing is, I don't have time to sit down and read up on all the latest news as I am usually constantly on the move. Then I found out that many of my favorite pastors put their sermons online in the form of a podcast. As I started listening to these, I actually began to crave the long runs so that I could listen to them. By the time I was done with my runs, it wasn't my body that was just feeling refreshed, but my mind and spirit.

Since then, I have started listening to podcasts all the time. I listen to them while I drive, clean, craft, cook, garden, and of course, run! My repertoire of what I listen to while I work has expanded dramatically too. So here's my favorite podcasts and the links so that you can listen to them too!

The Mark Davis Show - a local news talk show. It helps me keep up with the news and issues being discussed in my community!

The Glenn Beck Program - Highly entertaining as it is informational, I enjoy listening to them talk about national issues. I consider it my American duty to keep up with what is going on and be an informed voter!

The Survival Podcast - not only does it talk about good things to be prepared for like ice storms and blackouts,  but it also talks a ton about gardening and permaculture. I learn something every time I listen!

Stuff You Should Know - Purely educational, they bring a different topic to each show and discuss what it is, history behind it and if applicable, the science behind it! They talk about everything from pirates to muppets. You will definitely learn!

Harvest Eating Podcast - Chef Snow talks about how to cook locally and seasonally on this podcast. He doesn't just give recipes, but teaching cooking techniques too!

Brant and Sherri Podcast - by far my favorite of them all. Brant used to be a DJ on a radio station we listen to and his quirky and fun insights into Christianity and the love God has for us always makes the runs I have more awesome!

The Pocket Lenses Podcast - This podcast is awesome as it teaches how to take great photos without the ginormous DSLR cameras people have. From point and shoot to cell phones, my photography has already improved!

PodCacher Podcast - When it comes to geocaching, this is the place to get your news, tips and tricks and fun interviews with other podcachers! Always love their weekly shows!

The Gun Show Podcast - I love this podcast as they don't worry about being "polished" and "radio professional" and just tell it like it is. From training to new guns to news, this is the place I love to listen and learn from!

Breakaway Ministries - Jared and I were shaped by this on-campus bible study while attending Texas A&M University and it is awesome that technology allows us to still listen today. I always learn and grow spiritually while listening to Ben Stewart or any of the guest speakers!

The Mickey Miles Podcast - How can I be a Disney runner and not listen to a Disney running podcast?? This podcast is awesome as they answer listener questions and discuss events and news in the world of RunDisney.

The WDW Radio Podcast - This is the podcast that makes me the happiest on my runs. While I'm digging deep in mile 9 of my run, Lou Mongello is describing and talking about anything and everything Disney. Makes the times I'm not at my second home much more bearable!

Whew! What a list! I hope there is something for everyone on this list that you can add to your podcast repertoire. Now excuse me while I go listen to one as I vacuum the house!

No comments:

Post a Comment