Monday, March 30, 2015

#TheHomeImprovementLife: Paint!

So now that we have all the popcorn off the walls, we now get to the fun part...paint! I have always loved painting, but it's such a small portion of what you actually do when you paint a room. 20% is painting, 80% is prepping the wall to paint!

First thing I had to do is sand down the joint areas on the ceiling and make sure there weren't any rough spots. I bought a handy dandy sanding block that you can put on a stick! Yay for no more reaching on ladders!

Love my new drywall ceiling sander!
Next thing I had to do was prime the ceiling. I have liked Kilz for priming, especially for ceilings. I remember going to a home improvement "expo" and seeing the difference helping the paint job last. Plus it just covers well! 
Add caption
Then, came the hour of removing any grit from drywall and plaster dust and taping the room off. So tedious...but so important! 
All taped off!
Now we get to paint! Again, love my roller on a stick so I can actually reach! 

Painting the ceiling!
I let the ceiling dry overnight and spent the next day taping and painting the rest of the walls!


Cutting in!

You can see how it goes on vs how it dries in this pic!
You can get a lot of really good tips on painting techniques online or even at Home Depot/Lowes. I've been doing it with my mom so long I have developed a method that works for me. Just know that quality of paint does matter in the amount of work you have to do, and be sure to use good natural light so that you can see any spots you miss. This is really important on textured walls like we have!

No comments:

Post a Comment