Monday, March 23, 2015

#TheHomeImprovementLife: Taking Off The Popcorn

So, we talked about project management (booooorring, but necessary). Let's get our hands dirty now!

Here are my before pictures!

As you enter the room
Far side wall

Turning right...

Turning right again...

Turning right again...

So when you scrape popcorn off the ceiling, it's important to note that you don't want to do this yourself is your house is older. I think cerca the 70's but don't quote me on that. Reason is, you may have asbestos in your popcorn ceiling insulation! Bad news! My house was built in the 2000's so I didn't have to worry about that.

Also thing to note is it is SO much easier to do this when you have gotten the popcorn wet first. Cuts down on the dust and makes it come off so much easier! I used an $8.00, one gallon sprayer you would see a pest guy use or to use to spray weeds. Just fill it with water, pump and spray! You will need to also prep your area by taping off the walls and floors and putting plastic to cover everything...this is extremely messy and hard to vacuum up! Finally, grab your ladder and dry wall scraper, along with your goggles and face mask!

Once you have the room prepped, it's really pretty simple. Spray a section at a time (I did approximately 10 ft by 10 ft) and wait for it to soak in (this is important! Gotta let it get all the way through)! Then, climb up on your ladder and start scraping. It's best if you have a 45 degree angle between the scraper and the ceiling.
Half way there!
Notice how I have taped the plastic as high up above the walls as I can!

This room only took an hour to do as it's only 100 square feet, but I can see why many people would want a contractor to come do it. My shoulders were pretty sore after and I was pretty messy! But once we were done we carefully balled all the plaster in the middle of the plastic and threw it away!

Finally done!







Completely covered in plaster


Tomorrow I'm painting the ceiling. Gotta cover up the now bare dry wall! Yay!

No comments:

Post a Comment