Saturday, January 17, 2015

Glutenous Maximus

I had the amazing opportunity to take dance lessons growing up. It kept me active and socially involved even though my body frame wasn't an "ideal" for a dancer. One of my teachers, Ms. Jennie, was my favorite. Instead of telling us to "tuck our butts in" and keep our back straight, she would refer to it as our "Gluteus Maximus" as the word "Butt" was not appropriate for a lady to say.

I think of her often now as the word "Gluteous" sounds similar to my made up word "Glutinous," which I now use to describe to the main diet of many Americans today.

Yes. I'm one of those people that has to eat gluten free. And yes, when I tell you that at Pie Five, I really do need you to change your gloves because it really could make me sick and I really appreciate it when you do! I was crushed when I had to start my gluten free diet cold turkey. I instantly (relatively, over the course of a few days) felt better and had more energy. But I was depressed because (believe it or not) I couldn't have Oreos.

More than the fact that I couldn't have oreos, I was depressed because I didn't know what I could eat. All I knew was I got a huge list from the doctor of things I couldn't eat and I was living like a rabbit for a week or so...munching lettuce and drinking smoothies. Thankfully, after a couple of tearful episodes of self pity, my husband and I took to the internet and found some great gluten free recipes and products that we could find at our local HEB.

So if you are thinking of going gluten free for whatever reason, think about these things:

1. The price. Going gluten free can be expensive. This was the hardest for my husband as he don't like spending more than $2.00 a unit on any food product. But, if you stick to non-processed food (aka...things that are naturally gluten free) it can actually be quite affordable. When you start buying gluten free bread and pizza crusts and cookies, it will get much more pricey. Stick to corn and rice as your grains as they are much more affordable and readily found!

2. Gluten is found everywhere! While the obvious source is wheat, there is gluten in a ton of chemically processed foods. It is basically like "edible glue" that food manufacturers use to add different flavors to food. You can find it in deli meats, canned food, candy coatings, cereal and pretty much anything that says "Natural and/or Artificial Flavor." When in doubt, I use my new favorite app called Fooducate! It's $5.00 but it has saved me several headaches when I was about to buy that Kraft cheese or canned chicken broth!

3. Keep it sustainable. I preach that these things are meant to be a marathon and not a sprint. I have been gluten free for almost three years now and in those three years, I have had lots of chocolate, bread and candy...things not normally found on a gluten free diet! But thankfully, we now have lots of options for people that have to eat gluten free (including Oreos!). Even if they are a little pricey, they make their way into my shopping cart every once in a while as my treat for the month. 80/20 rule is crucial...eat 80% of what is good for you and 20% of what makes you happy, even if it might cost a little more. The other side of that is make sure you are getting all the nutrients you need. I keep a food log not just for the calories, but also for the nutrient info. It's a tendency for people who eat gluten free to not get all their needed nutrients. So, I try to keep track of what I'm deficient in and adjust accordingly week to week.

I hope this helps you start thinking about how to start and maintain your gluten free lifestyles. Feel free to ask questions if you need help! I'm not a doctor, but I've figured out how to make this work for me and my family!

Do you have any great tips for eating gluten free?

No comments:

Post a Comment