Thursday, January 22, 2015

The New Restaurant Intimidation Factor

Jared and I were just traveling through our new neighborhood and I cannot tell you how happy I was to drive through and feel like it was home. The people are so nice. I love watching people at the park and driving by the kids playing basketball in their driveway. Even in the dead of winter it's beautiful. I can't wait to see what it looks like in spring!

However, one thing that I don't like is that Jared and I have to find new restaurants! This would normally not be a big deal for me. Yet, ever since going gluten free I have had a major intimidation factor on trying new places. Going to buffets and not knowing what the ingredients are is really frustrating. I would rather not eat than risk having gluten. Some restaurants look at me like I have four eyes when I ask if they have a gluten free menu. I've had many sour experiences. Not knowing where they cook it, what they put in it and how careful they are makes me super anxious. If I had to be extremely strict, I probably would never eat out. 

Yet, there are some places that do cater extensively to gluten free eaters! After our half marathon in Washington DC, we found a Legal Sea Food and they had gluten free fish and chips that they cooked in a separate part of their kitchen and brought it out separate from the rest of the meals. I was elated! Then, recently Jared and I tried a new Mexican restaurant. Not only did they have a separate menu with a different color to alert the waiter, but they brought out special chips that are fried separate! So exciting!

So how do I suggest you navigate the colossal amount of choices to eat and trying new places? Here's what I suggest:

1. Call the restaurant. If they don't understand what you are asking or don't know what gluten is, BAD SIGN. Jared and I have also learned to ask what kind of options they have. Some people say they have gluten free options and their only option is salad. LAME when you are expecting gluten free pizza. Others have a full gluten free menu. It helps to know which is which as to not set expectations to get disappointed. 

2. There's an app for that! What many people don't realize is once you go gluten free, it doesn't just affect you, but it affects your entire family! My mom has been so supportive of me having to go gluten free and even found an app called "Find Me Gluten Free." Not only does it bring up locations by distance, but it allows for user reviews so that you can weed out which restaurants just say they have gluten free (and offer salad) or if they have a full gluten free menu and allergen list. It also offers star ratings so you can see the most liked restaurants around you!

3. When in doubt, don't eat and try again. There have been so many times where I have gone to a restaurant and it doesn't really have anything I can eat. I then beat myself up over the choice because I'm hungry and I want to make it work. But many times, I just have to be in a hungry, grumpy mood until we can leave the restaurant and find something that I can actually eat. It can create hassle and frustration (especially when you are hungry!) but your health is more important than trying to make it work. Make sure to always bring snacks with you, just in case you have to snack while you wait for something more substantial!

I hope these tips help! Good luck and hopefully your inner foodie doesn't have to be restricted by new restaurant intimidation! 

Do you know any other restaurants that are great for eating gluten free or any apps to help find those restaurants? I'd love to know!

No comments:

Post a Comment