Saturday, January 10, 2015

Preparing for Princess: Part 2!

Last time I talked about my costumes that I have been preparing for my Princess Half Marathon Glass Slipper Challenge! I am running the half marathon part of this race with my mom, and so we decided to go as Queen Elinor and Merida!

Both costumes, flat
Details of my belt!
Mom's belt, secured with velcro!
Details of mom's crown!
These costumes make me really happy! Again, found some $5 clearance shirts at Walmart. They were actually bright lime green. So I had to buy some dye to make them the darker green I wanted. Then I sewed on the gold trim and made the sparkle skirts (who can run a princess race without a sparkle skirt???). 

I really wanted to ad a few touches to make these costumes obvious to who we were supposed to be without a ton of weight and extra friction! So I saw Queen Elinor had a belt and crown. So I made a Velcro belt out of the streachy sparkle fabric and a felt crown that can pin to my mom's visor as she runs. I ran with a Captain America Sheild for the Disneyland half last summer, so bigger props are not as big a deal for me. So in addition to my belt and family crest (which I made out of felt) my husband is making me a fake bow to carry out of lightweight PVC! That's true love! 

Really excited about this race. I'm really happy to have something to train for over the next few weeks and a fun trip to look forward to. I hit post marathon blues really hard last year. Add in cold and dark weather, and it was an uphill battle for me emotionally until March. So here's to running endorphins and family to share the experience with! 

Talk to y'all soon!
Maddie

No comments:

Post a Comment